The Key to Social Media...LISTEN!
So you think you're doing everything you can with your social media? Think again. Although you post videos, pictures, and events, respond to comments, and publish blogs, you're missing out on one of the most important pieces: listening! The best social media practitioners know that there is more to social media than just getting the word our and promoting your brand. Here are five ways you can use listening to enhance your social media presence.
- WATCH YOUR COMPETITORS - Pay attention to your competitors and monitor the ways in which their customers rant and rave - you may just be able to learn from their mistakes or even snatch up one of their customers.
- PROVIDE YOUR CUSTOMERS WITH WOW SERVICE - This is one of the most important things to do. Don’t neglect your own following, but engage with those who take to the comments section to complain. Don't shy away from the negative comments, but take the opportunity to neutralize the situation before it escalates, scares off potential customers, and tarnishes your brand. Take the time to read each comment and find a way to respond or make a situation right. Everyone makes mistakes of course, but consumers want to know they’re being heard and taken seriously.
- BRAND MENTIONS - Have you ever Googled yourself? You should definitely make this a regular practice so you'll know what people are saying about your brand. 90% of a company’s mentions go untagged, so it may take a little digging into relevant topics related to your industry to spot problem areas or even seek out new product ideas.
- PARTNER WITH INFLUENCERS - Never underestimate the power of the people because everybody talks, and “influencers” - those with large followings or a powerful presence - are everywhere. Forge strong and authentic relationships with them since your current and potential customers listen to what they have to say. Need help expediting and automating this strategy? Programs like Sprout Social, Mention, Hootsuite, BuzzSumo, and Google Alerts are tailored to help the savvy social media strategists connect and monitor influencers.
- RELEVANT CONVERSATIONS - In addition to monitoring your brand mentions, you should also be aware of conversations that are relevant to your industry. By doing this, you can highlight your expertise, spot trends, discover new opportunities, or even provide a solution to a problem or question.
To read the entire article, check out Bill Winn’s blog for the San Diego chapter of the American Marketing Association at http://sdama.org/knowledge/listen-up/